QWE Practice Guideline: 411 – Incorporate universal design principles into the physical plant.
Target group: Any organization supporting and/or employing individuals with disabilities
Upgrade building access to improve accessibility for staff
Subject matter experts/trainers
- Consultant with knowledge and experience updating and/or repairing building access
- New door materials
- Assess building for accessibility challenge
- Can everyone access the building – on their own or with assistance?
- What will improve access?
- Who might have different access needs in the future?
- Purchase materials and install where needed
- Have staff utilize new access mechanisms to ensure accessibility is unhindered
- Makes further adjustments as necessary
- Complete an accessibility check each year
- Upgrade and update access as needed
- Incorporate into safety and emergency planning
- Policies and procedures for maintaining building accessibility
- Began with installation of new door handle levers to increase ease of use when opening doors
NPA: New Leaf Inc. Location: Oak Harbor, WA Date Submitted: 2011 Website: http://www.newleafinc.org/
Resources: Quality Work Environment Workbook