Public Policy and Advocacy
A Force for Meaningful Public Policy Outcomes
SourceAmerica has been a leading job connector for people with disabilities for almost 50 years. Through the AbilityOne Program, we create meaningful employment opportunities for people with disabilities by delivering high-quality, mission-essential products and services to federal agencies. Nearly 400 community-based nonprofit organizations in the SourceAmerica network employ approximately 36,000 people with disabilities nationwide.
To advance our mission, we work closely with policymakers to create jobs and break down barriers for people with disabilities. Here’s how you can help.
SourceAmerica’s Priorities for the 118th Congress can be found here: 118th Congress Priorities
Champions for Inclusive Employment
SourceAmerica and National Industries for the Blind (NIB) established the AbilityOne Congressional Champions Program in 2002 to honor members of Congress who have demonstrated a commitment to their constituents with disabilities or blindness and to the AbilityOne Program. 130 members of the current Congress are AbilityOne Champions and play a key role in advancing SourceAmerica’s legislative agenda and supporting people with disabilities employed through the AbilityOne Program.
- Meet with representatives from an AbilityOne agency in the member's district or Washington, D.C. office;
- Tour an AbilityOne agency's manufacturing or service contract site(s);
- Support the Javits-Wagner-O'Day Act by using AbilityOne products or services in the member's district or Washington, D.C. office; and
- Voice support for the AbilityOne Program through a public communication, such as a press conference statement, Congressional Record statement, social media post, or a similar communication.
View our Congressional Champions List
Grassroots Conference and Advocacy Events
Our nation’s workforce is more successful, more productive, and more innovative when people of all abilities participate. Advocacy events, like SourceAmerica’s Grassroots Advocacy, raise awareness about how when the right person is matched to the right job, everyone wins.
Grassroots Advocacy Conference
The highlight of our advocacy efforts is a Grassroots Conference held in the nation's Capital each year. This year our conference will be held September 11-14, 2023. This annual event includes employees with disabilities, their families, and employers from our network of nonprofit agencies. Self-advocates are given the tools and training they need to share their story with their representative about how policy made in Washington shapes the employment choices and opportunities of people with disabilities across our nation.
Ready to advocate with us? Let’s talk.
- To learn more about advocacy, contact our Government Affairs Department at Advocacy@SourceAmerica.org
- To learn more about our policy positions, contact us at CongressionalAffairs@SourceAmerica.org