Grassroots Advocacy Conference Training
To emphasize the importance of year-round advocacy, we’re offering a two-part virtual training program for AbilityOne employees with disabilities, also known as self-advocates, where they will learn the importance of advocacy and how to utilize their stories to advocate for themselves and others.
We invite NPAs to select up to 3 self-advocates to take part in this virtual self-advocacy training, exclusive to NPAs participating in the 2022 Grassroots Advocacy Conference.
Self-advocates will learn the importance of advocacy and how to effectively share their story to various audiences, through lectures, group discussions, and activities. This program prepares them to use their voice at community events throughout the year that include speaking engagements, meetings with local, state, and federal officials, or conferences and summits.
Review the training schedule and instructions on how to register below.
We encourage NPA representatives to register self-advocates to attend one session from Part I: Finding Your Voice and one session from Part II: Telling Your Story to get the most out of this training opportunity.
Part I: Finding Your Voice
This course will provide a roadmap for the self-advocate by focusing on practical approaches to being your own advocate within your community.
- January 18 - 1-4 PM ET
- February 22 - 1-4 PM ET
Part II: Telling Your Story
The story of the self-advocate’s journey is the most compelling element of self-advocacy. This course focuses on developing and sharing your story in preparation for speaking to local business leaders and elected officials in your community.
- March 24 - 1-4 PM ET
- April 12 - 1-4 PM ET
How To Register Self-Advocates For Virtual Training Courses:
Review how to register for the Self-Advocacy Training Program below. Training courses will be hosted in the SourceAmerica Academy, an education tool that is free for anyone working at one of the nonprofits in the SourceAmerica network.
- Fill out this form using the self-advocate’s information and select their courses. We recommend self-advocates attend one session from Part I and one session form Part II to get the most of this training opportunity.
- The SourceAmerica Academy team will send a course registration confirmation along with a username, password, and instructions on how to login to and navigate SourceAmerica Academy, where the courses will take place.
- Self-Advocates will attend the courses at the selected dates and times provided!
Google Chrome is the recommended internet platform to access the trainings. Download it here if you do not currently have it set up on your computer. Mozilla Firefox or Safari will also work with the platform. Internet Explorer and Edge are not compatible with our systems.
Make sure that your systems meet our minimum requirements below. You can test your internet speed, firewall, operating system, web browser, microphone, and webcams that you will need to use during the training here!
Computer System Requirements:
- An internet connection – broadband wired/hardwired (preferred) or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in
- Any webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
Note: See the list of supported devices.
Supported Operating Systems:
- macOS X with macOS 10.9 or later
- Windows 10
Note: Devices running Windows 10 must run Windows 10 Home, Pro, or Enterprise
- Windows 8 or 8.1
If you have any questions about technology requirements or the 2022 Grassroots Conference, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions or issues with the SourceAmerica Academy, reach out to the Academy team at email@example.com.