Design Challenge College Nonprofit Agencies
Team Up With Students!
The SourceAmerica Design Challenge is a national competition that pairs high school and college student teams with nonprofit agencies employing individuals with disabilities. The goal is to improve the lives of people with disabilities by creating assistive technology to increase productivity in the workplace.
Over the years, the SourceAmerica Design Challenge has led to tremendous outcomes and benefits for all involved—nonprofit agencies, employees, students and local schools.
Once the nonprofit agency identifies and explains its workplace obstacle or opportunity for improvement, the students and coaches get to work. Employees with disabilities then reap the benefits. It all starts with a small commitment from your nonprofit agency to provide a supportive environment.
It's a win-win for all who participate, but don't take our word for it. Previously participating nonprofit agencies have experienced an array of benefits that include:
- Improved worker productivity
- Increased efficiency; reduced material waste
- Ability to perform a new line of business
- Increased visibility in the community via local media coverage
- New relationships with local schools
- Trip to Washington, DC, to participate in the Design Challenge finals event with their team
- Monetary awards and SourceAmerica training vouchers
- Contact the Design Challenge program manager, Charissa Garcia, or fill out this form if you are interested in participating
- Find a school or college to team up with by contacting schools directly
- Schedule a site visit and tour at your agency for the students
- Introduce the students to your agency's team
- Provide a contact person or contact information so students can ask questions and arrange for testing of their device
The top five high school finalist teams and the top three college finalist teams receive cash prizes and a trip to Washington, DC. Nonprofit agencies associated with the finalists will receive additional training voucher awards. If you are interested in more information, please fill out the form and someone will be in touch soon.