IDEATE 2022: How It Works
The mission of the SourceAmerica® IDEATE engineering competition is to create scalable, adaptable assistive technologies that improve workplace inclusion and opportunities for people with disabilities.
Here’s how the competition works and how to get the most out of it:
- Form your team and seek out a project in your community.
- We encourage you to connect with a person with a disability in your community. This person may be a friend, family member, acquaintance, or a team member at a local nonprofit, and will serve as your subject matter expert (SME) and be a key member of your team.
- Once you’ve formed your team—typically by job shadowing your SME—you’ll start inventing and building.
- As you build out your invention, you should plan to test before and after implementation. It allows you to show measurable improvements such as increasing productivity, decreasing waste, and removing employment barriers.
- Once you’ve built, tested, and implemented your invention, you’ll turn it in. Submissions include a paper, digital model, animation, prototype, 3D CAD file or code, and video of invention.
- Participate in the finals event in April 2022.