Title: Effective Supervisory Skills Training
QWE Practice Guideline: 160 Take Responsibility for the Development of Supervisors
Program Description: Effective Supervisory Skills is a two-day training course for current and prospective supervisors. This training encompasses all aspects of supervision including but not limited to: understanding staff and their needs, recognizing staff achievements, developing motivational strategies, dealing with subordinates and supervisors as people, promoting cultural awareness and understanding how supervisors affect the work environment.
The curriculum consists of seven modules. Each module is organized and presented in a binder for participants to keep. The seven modules are:
- Introduction and Welcome
- Linking Elements Model and Leadership - traits, style, approach, problem solving, decision making, delegating, style limitations
- Communication - attire, general communication, barriers, body language, speaking skills, feedback, misunderstanding, listening, professionalism
- Quality of Work Life - understanding people, staff needs, how supervisors affect the work environment, knowing your staff and their skills, problems of emotions, one-minute manager, dealing with people
- Direction - rules, policy, giving instructions and orders, ABCs of getting things done, building cooperation
- Technical Competence - personal relationships, verbal instruction, on-the-job training, experience
- Assessment Project - project format, written report preparation, oral report presentation.
Target Group: All CRPs
Individual: prepare key staff members for promotional opportunities; equip current supervisors with essential tools to be effective in their role; increase quality of relationships between supervisors and staff.
Organization: increase in quality of staff evaluations and performance agreements; higher quality hiring procedures
Start up: Development of curriculum
Ongoing: Staff to provide, track and evaluate training
Sources of funding: NYS Department of Labor BUSINYS training grant.
Specialized Expertise Needed: Staff or consultant with subject matter knowledge and experience as well as appropriate training skills.
CRP: Occupations, Inc.
Resources: Quality Work Environment Workbook
Contact Information: Ron Colavito, Comptroller, firstname.lastname@example.org, (888) 750-2266.